Weed oil and distillate carts
Disclaimer: THC oil cartridges are suitable for vaping and are not the same thing as tinctures, which are for oral use only.
Today, the most common use for vape pens is for pre-filled cannabis oil cartridges. Most pens are typically compatible with 510-threaded oil carts. To start, remove the rubber seal from the bottom of your oil cartridge and connect it to the battery. Make sure the device is charged and turned on, if it is a push-button vape pen. Also don’t press the button until you start inhaling or it might burn your lips.
- Start with a small puff, and wait a few minutes to gauge the effects, especially if you are new to vaping THC oil. The effects might seem subtle at first, but can creep up on you.
- If your device has multiple voltage settings, start at the lowest setting to avoid dry/burnt hits. (The ideal range for most oil carts is 3.3-3.8 volts.)
- Many of the newer cartridges utilize ceramic-based coils that can handle more voltage without burning out. Some will require more voltage to achieve a satisfying puff.
- Check the best 510 thread batteries to see other devices available for vaping THC oil cartridges.
Dabs and wax
The best way to vape wax is to use a vape pen specifically designed for dabs. There are cartridges that work with your standard vape pens, but most dab pens provide a bit more airflow and generally have atomizers with ceramic or quartz quicks that can handle the higher temperatures required for dabs. Unlike oil cartridges, you can press the button before inhaling to preheat your dabs.
- Load a small amount of wax into the heating chamber. A dab tool is highly recommended.
- Don’t overload the chamber or you will run the risk of clogging and/or leaking—it will not perform well and it will reduce the longevity of your coils.
- Prime the coil by gently pulsing the fire button, which will slightly melt the wax.
- Take a puff while holding the button, always start with small puffs.
- You can pulse the button while inhaling to prevent it from getting too hot.
- Wait a few minutes between puffs, never underestimate the strength of your dabs.
There are weed and dry herb attachments for regular push-button vape pens, but they are not very effective at vaporization. If you are looking to vape flower properly, you’ll need a dedicated weed vape pen or a portable weed vaporizer designed for flower that isn’t going to combust your bud.